Sunday, October 9, 2011

Lego Walden

A Lego representation of a scene in "Brute Neighbors."



At the start of the video, I put a picture of Thoreau's actual house on the lake, and fade to its Lego representation. A Lego Thoreau walks out of his cabin, and, in 54 images, closes the door and walks to the forest behind his house. This scene was designed to represent one part of "Brute Neighbors," so I have nature sounds like a creek rushing by and the rustling of leaves in the wind playing in the background. Thoreau walks past a forest and then I played the portion of the text that pertains to the next scene, a battle between the ants. Thoreau walks up to a small, 2X3 flat brick, which is the "chip" on which the legions of ants do battle. The scene cuts to a close up of the brick, and the ant pieces are now visible. Then, it "zooms" in one more time to show a small skirmish between red and black warriors. It zooms out to show Thoreau examining the wood chip, and then zooms out again to show someone examining Thoreau.

The battle between the ants is important because it is similar to a battle between humans, as evidenced by the comparison that Thoreau makes to the Myrmidons. In the video, the battle occurs on such a small scale that it is only visible after "zooming" in twice, represented by the transitions between the ant pieces and the warriors. Similarly, it would be possible to extrapolate to a different, outside observer, who views Thoreau and by extension humans on the same scale as humans view ants. Humans are small when compared to the vastness of the universe. I tried to convey this by zooming out one more time after the scene returns to Thoreau. It was easy to accomplish using Legos because of the different sizes of pieces. Plus, I really like Legos.

No comments:

Post a Comment